Sister Bay, Wisconsin
Sister Bay is located in Door County, Wisconsin, on the northern shore of Lake Michigan. It is a small town with a population of just over 2,000 people that was first settled in 1851 by settlers from New England. The geography of Sister Bay is quite varied, consisting of dense forests and rolling hills to the north and east, and flat farmland to the south and west. The city has several lakes, rivers, and natural springs that provide plenty of recreational opportunities for visitors.
The economy in Sister Bay is largely driven by tourism as it is one of the most popular vacation destinations in Wisconsin. There are numerous restaurants, shops, galleries, and other attractions that draw tourists from all over the state. Many of these establishments have been around since the town’s inception and have become iconic landmarks within the community. Notable examples include the Sister Bay Bowl which has been around since 1954; Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant which serves traditional Scandinavian meals; and Wilson’s Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlor which has been serving delicious ice cream since 1922. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of outdoor activities such as boating on Sister Bay or hiking along trails in nearby Newport State Park.
Sister Bay also has an impressive selection of historical sites including two lighthouses: Cana Island Lighthouse which was built in 1869; and Sherwood Point Lighthouse which was constructed in 1883. The city also boasts several museums such as the Door County Historical Museum which showcases artifacts related to local history; Ephraim Historical Foundation Museum which features collections from early settlers; and Anderson Barn Museum where visitors can tour historic buildings dating back to 1910. Additionally, there are several art galleries throughout town featuring works by local artists as well as nationally-renowned names like Georgia O’Keeffe who visited Sister Bay during her lifetime.
Population: 886. Estimated population in July 2020: 879 (-0.8% change)
Males: 376 (42.4%), Females: 510 (57.6%)
Zip code: 54234
Median resident age: 61.4 years
Median household income: $33,224
Median house value: $190,800
Races in Sister Bay:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.2%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (41.9%), Swedish (18.2%), Norwegian (11.4%), Irish (10.7%), English (9.3%), Danish (4.0%).
Elevation: 587 feet
Land area: 2.6 square miles
Sister Bay, Wisconsin is a small town located on the shores of Green Bay. It has a population of approximately 2,000 people and is known for its picturesque views and friendly community. The cost of living in Sister Bay is relatively low compared to other parts of Wisconsin and the United States. Housing prices are lower than the national average, with the median home value being around $200,000. Renting in Sister Bay is also relatively affordable, with a one-bedroom apartment costing around $750 per month. Utilities are also cheaper than most other places in the country, with an average electric bill being about $80 per month. Groceries and other necessities are generally cheaper than in larger cities as well. There are plenty of restaurants and shops to choose from, making it easy to find something that fits into your budget. The town also has many amenities such as parks, beaches and recreation centers that provide plenty of activities for residents to enjoy without having to spend too much money.
For population 25 years and over in Sister Bay
- High school or higher: 87.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 30.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.6%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 9.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sister Bay village
- Never married: 17.0%
- Now married: 55.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 22.5%
- Divorced: 4.7%
3.7% Foreign born (3.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +210 (+31.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sister Bay:
- DOOR COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL 144 (about 30 miles; STURGEON BAY, WI)
- BAY AREA MEDICAL CENTER MARINETTE (about 37 miles; MARINETTE, WI)
- ST FRANCIS HOSPITAL (about 39 miles; ESCANABA, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sister Bay:
- MENOMINEE-MARINETTE TWIN COUNTY (about 36 miles; MENOMINEE, MI; Abbreviation: MNM)
- DELTA COUNTY (about 37 miles; ESCANABA, MI; Abbreviation: ESC)
- FORD (about 81 miles; IRON MOUNTAIN KINGSFORD, MI; Abbreviation: IMT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sister Bay:
- EPHRAIM-FISH CREEK (about 6 miles; EPHRAIM, WI; Abbreviation: 3D2)
- WASHINGTON ISLAND (about 20 miles; WASHINGTON ISLAND, WI; Abbreviation: 2P2)
- DOOR COUNTY CHERRYLAND (about 32 miles; STURGEON BAY, WI; Abbreviation: SUE)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Wisconsin graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sister Bay:
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY (about 74 miles; GREEN BAY, WI; Full-time enrollment: 4,794)
- NORTHEAST WISCONSIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 79 miles; GREEN BAY, WI; Full-time enrollment: 4,198)
- SAINT NORBERT COLLEGE (about 85 miles; DE PERE, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,031)
- NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 97 miles; MARQUETTE, MI; Full-time enrollment: 7,374)
- LAKELAND COLLEGE (about 107 miles; SHEBOYGAN, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,103)
- FOX VALLEY TECHNICAL COLLEGE AT APPLETON (about 107 miles; APPLETON, WI; Full-time enrollment: 3,364)
- NORTHWESTERN MICHIGAN COLLEGE (about 114 miles; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,343)