Little Italy in Cleveland (USA) – description, history, location. Exact address, phone number, website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.
“Little Italy” – a district and a former ghetto in Cleveland (Ohio), it is clear who is inhabited. Otherwise, this place is called “Murray Hill” or even just “Hill” – “hill”. The area is located between 119th and 125th streets in the gap from Murray Hill Street to Mayfield. In fact, this is a long promenade going downhill (the height difference here is almost 100 m). See acronymmonster for nickname of Ohio.
“Little Italy”, like big Italy, is famous not least for its cuisine. An incredible number of bakeries, pizzerias, restaurants and other eateries are located here. There is a completely official opinion that the best place to eat in Cleveland is here. Probably, one could agree with this, if there weren’t such areas as the Slavic Village and Tremont in Cleveland.
But a belly feast isn’t the only one you can have in Cleveland’s Little Italy. A feast of the spirit awaits you, for example, in a local art gallery. If you don’t feel like wandering around the museums, you can at least admire some of the architectural sights of the quarter from the outside: for example, the Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Rosary, built in 1905 and already included in the national list of historic sites. Or the old communal house “Alta House”, which opened its doors for the first time in 1895. There is also a green place for recreation in “Little Italy” – Tony Brush Park. In a word, a real country in miniature.
It was in “Little Italy” by Angelo Vitantonio that the first manual pasta machine was invented, the descendants of which are used by housewives to this day. The inventor patented the design in 1906 and founded a whole company for the production of kitchen utensils, which is still in operation.
The history of the quarter begins in 1895, when a certain Joseph Carabelli opened here a ritual workshop for the manufacture of stone tombstones. Around immediately began to settle “their own”, and the first restaurant of Italian cuisine in Ohio, the trattoria Guarino, opened in the area. The notorious Cleveland resident J. Rockefeller took a special part in the fate of Italian immigrants and gave them the Alta House building (by the way, the community house got its name from the daughter of a multimillionaire).
By 1911, the neighborhood was inhabited almost exclusively by native Italians, and they brought a fresh Mediterranean vibe to the American city. In 1920, Giardino opened in Little Italy, the first restaurant of chef Buiardi (the famous Ettore “Hector” Buiardi, creator of the super-popular line of Italian products). But the glory of “Little Italy” was not only peaceful and “homely”: the area became, in particular, the largest center of the Italian mafia between New York and Chicago. The Cleveland Road Mob is even referred to by its old name, the Lakeview Road Gang, in the movie The Godfather.
As you know, Italians are Catholics, and quite devout. Every year in August, the Little Italy Roman Catholic Church hosts a four-day celebration of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It is accompanied by the largest Italian-American street carnival in the city and country. The festival has been held since 1898, and each time the highlight of the program is a solemn procession in which the statue of the Virgin is carried through the streets to the church, where a night mass is later celebrated.
But the festival is not exclusively religious in nature: it is also the largest celebration of Italian culture, which has not changed significantly since the 19th century. Here you can listen to traditional music, play in the casino, watch carnival processions and, of course, enjoy Italian food straight from the street stalls. The latter are not some kind of fast food: serious restaurants open them during the fest, so for 4 days of the holiday extra pounds are provided to its guests.
And another holiday that also takes place in Little Italy is the parade on Columbus Day (October 12, the date when Christopher Columbus officially discovered America). True, this day is considered an official holiday and is celebrated not only in this area of Cleveland. But only here the holiday takes on a real scope: after all, Columbus was, after all, a born Italian from Genoa.
Tremont neighborhood in Cleveland
Tremont area in Cleveland (Cleveland, USA) — description, history, location, reviews, photos and videos.
Tremont is a Cleveland borough that is listed on the National Historic Places list. This is one of the oldest parts of the city and was once home to a large German community. Tremont is bounded by the Chiahoga River to the north and east, and to the west by 25th Street. Today, Tremont is home to many art galleries and restaurants, as well as old churches, which are very interesting from the point of view of tourists.
At one time, Tremont was called differently: the local buildings belonged to the university, and the area was called “University Heights”. Since then, many streets with names like “Professorskaya”, “Literary” or “College” have been preserved here.
One such church is the Pilgrim Congregational Church, built in 1890. In 1976, the church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as both a Historic Landmark and an architectural landmark, which has been described as an “epoch-making religious building.” Also of interest are the Church of St. Augustine (built in 1893) and the Church of St. John of Kant (1898).
A specific Tremont attraction is the TREATS Dog Park at Clark Field. This is the largest park in Ohio where dogs can walk and play off-leash.
Well, for a traveler from Russia, of course, the Orthodox Cathedral of St. Theodosius, built in 1912, will be of interest first of all. It is located on Starkweather Avenue and is one of the best examples of Russian church architecture in the United States. The patron saint of the cathedral, Theodosius of Chernigov, was a monk in Kyiv, founded several sketes in what is now Ukraine, and was buried in 1696 in the Borisoglebsky Cathedral in Chernigov.
The Cleveland Cathedral was built in 1896 when a wave of immigrants from Eastern Europe needed their own place of worship. The construction of the cathedral was financed by the Russian Missionary Society, founded by Nicholas II. The old building was rebuilt in 1902 in the neo-Byzantine style with copper onion domes – one large, four medium and eight small, which symbolized Jesus Christ and the 12 apostles. The Cleveland architect F. Baird, when creating the plan of the cathedral, was guided by photographs of the historical Cathedral of Christ the Savior. Icons were brought to the cathedral from Russia, and in 1953 frescoes by Andrey Bichenko appeared in the church.
St. Theodosius Cathedral gained fame, among other things, thanks to the cult film “The Deer Hunter” with Christopher Walken and Robert De Niro.
By 1920, Tremont had over 35,000 inhabitants. But by the end of the last century, the number of residents decreased to about 8 thousand. Since the 2000s. the area is on the rise: young people, hipsters, expats and other somewhat marginalized residents come here. This gives the area as a whole a somewhat bohemian and creative spirit. Every second Friday of the month, the so-called art walk takes place in Tremont.
Once in Tremont, you should definitely go to Lolita, which is on the Literary Road. This is Iron Chef winner Michael Simon’s bistro, one of the most famous in town.
Lemko Hall, a historical building where emigrants from Lemkovyna used to gather, is among the architectural sights of the area. This building also featured in The Deer Hunter, where a wedding took place. Another “cinematic” place in Tremont is the Christmas Carol Mansion on West 11th Street. Several scenes of the 1983 film of the same name were filmed here, and the protagonist Ralphie Parker and his family lived here. Today the house is a museum.