In the course of pregnancy, problems such as swelling of the legs, feet and hands, but also, back and leg pains are very common.
The latter, in particular, affect practically all pregnant women, since with the gradual increase in weight, the pressure on legs and back also increases. But too much weight is not the only reason.
Alterations in the ligaments, hormones and circulatory system bring with them some changes that cause pain in the legs, joints, ankles, etc.
If you are pregnant and begin to suffer from leg and back pain, there are some helpful tips you can follow to relieve discomfort.
Check out how to relieve leg and back pain during pregnancy.
Tips for relieving leg and back pain during pregnancy
Back pain, usually located in the lower back, such as leg pain, occurs especially because of the contraction of the muscles along the spine.
These pains intensify with the end of pregnancy, worsening whenever the pregnant woman is long standing or sitting.
To help relieve leg and back pain during pregnancy, follow these tips:
- sleeping on the side, with a pillow in the middle of the legs;
- avoid wearing high-heeled shoes;
- having a balanced and balanced diet, in order to avoid an excessive increase of weight;
- when you have to lower yourself or pick something up from the floor, crouch down, bend your legs, not your spine.
Leg pains also occur because of weight gain during pregnancy, especially from the second trimester, but also because of the accumulation of fluid in the area of the calves and ankles.
It is therefore normal for the pregnant woman, at the end of the day, to feel discomfort and feeling heavy in this area of the legs. In addition, with changes in the circulatory system, it is natural for the legs to swell.
Here are some tips on relieving leg and back pain during pregnancy:
- take moderate and appropriate exercise to a pregnant woman, including leg stretches when you feel the discomfort;
- avoid standing too long, standing or sitting;
- when you feel the pain in your legs, lie down, and with the aid of a towel resting on the tip of the foot and with the leg stretched, lengthen the calf;
- wear elastic stockings with mild to medium compression;
- avoid having a very sedentary life.